Friday 20 June 2014

About us.

Hello fellow/future babywearers! 
I’m Caity, I was born and raised on the mainland (Ottawa… so one of the few Sens fans in NL!) in 2011 my husband had a job opportunity out here and I found myself moving from downtown Toronto to St. John’s. Our quick 3 month move turned into a year, then into another, then we bought a house, then we had a baby (which we claim makes us legitimate Newfoundlanders, right?!?). We love the pace and lifestyle that St. John’s offers, especially as a young family, and we hope to stay for as long as possible! 
How did I get into babywearing?
Well, my 3 nephews were all worn from birth, which is a major bonus because it means I have my sister as an incredible resource. In the very early days I spent lots of time on skype going through step-by-step tutorials and making sure I was doing things properly and texting photos across the country for feedback on my carries. 
Before my little guy was born I knew that I was going to wear him, I bought 3 different carriers and did a babywearing workshop with my husband. I didn’t realize exactly what it would do for us so along with my carriers I also bought a big, fancy (/ridiculously expensive…) stroller. Fast-forward to present-day where my stroller sits in the garage and my carrier/wrap collection grows! 
What was my first carrier?
Well, technically an Oscha Bluebell cotton/linen wrap-converted ring sling was my first. 
But... I’d purchased 3 carriers before my little guy was born so in my mind my Boba stretchy wrap in Stardust 
and my Petrol Manduca soft structured carrier were all my firsts ;)

As our family grows, and our stash follows suit, every minute/hour/day/week/month of snuggles and ever-lasting love gets woven into the fibres of these lovely and incredible pieces of cloth and I am externally grateful for this special time.  

We hope to share our stories, learnings, and love for all things baby-wearing with you and ask for your guidance and love in return. 

xo Caity

Hello! I'm Rhonda, an engineer turned stay at home mom. I was born and raised in Newfoundland. My husband and I are now fortunate enough to raise our baby girl with the same love for everything that comes with a Newfoundland upbringing. We love camping, hiking, snowshoeing, biking, cross country skiing...all things outdoors! Most of which we wouldn't be able to do without Babywearing. My proudest Babywearing accomplishment to date was hiking Gros Morne mountain while wearing my 8 month old daughter. (Carrier pictured is a standard canvas Tula in Sugar Plum)



How did I get into Babywearing?

While I was pregnant I knew I wanted to wear my baby. I read about different carriers and watched YouTube videos. While still pregnant I took a Babywearing workshop and was hooked. I bought 3 carriers the following week. I still don't own a stroller. But I do own more carriers ;)

What was my first carrier?

I bought 3 carriers before my baby girl was born: a Sew funky wrap converted ringsling, a Moby stretchy wrap, and a Boba 3G soft structured carrier. 

The first carrier I used was the Moby wrap. It was wonderful in those first days for sleepy cuddles with baby girl.

How did you and Caity meet?

We met in a Hypnobabies child birth class. Our first weeks of classes we exchanged pleasantries and the conversation usually ended there. One week I sheepishly admitted that I had already bought 3 carriers. As soon as Caity exclaimed the words, "So did I!!", a beautiful friendship was born. A friendship that would eventually be filled with 8 hour play dates, middle of the night messages about wrap converted anything, and loads of Babywearing walks/hikes/snowshoes/movies/lunches/anywhere else you can wear a baby :)

No comments:

Post a Comment